Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Last week I spent two days in my second grade classroom for field experience hours for my EDU270 class. Ultimately, I realized that I am far from tech-savy and I need to learn how to be a little more friendly with technology. At Fred C. Underhill Elementary school, right down the street, there is one laptop cart for the entire school which holds over three hundred students. I found it to be a bit strange so I asked the teacher a few more questions about it. She continued to tell me that the one laptop cart in the school is actually stationed in her classroom. Due to lack of computers, none of the teachers ever want to use the laptop cart because there are not enough laptops in it for each student to be able to use them. Mrs. Naboa, the teacher that I work with, told me that not only are there not enough resources, but the teacher's don't know how to use most of what they have to begin with. Mrs. Noboa had to fight for months in order to get three desktop computers in her classroom. She enjoys using Google drive and other features that are beneficial and productive in her lesson plans. When children finish their main and most important assignments, they are allowed to use the laptops of computers in order to play or work on their Google assignments. She told me that most of the time she likes to keep the assignments that include technology creativity based. I think that its a very good thing that Mrs. Noboa is concerned about intergrating technology into her students every day lives. Although she is still learning, she understands that technology is growing more and more every day, and ultimately it will eventually become bigger than we imagine. The growing generation will know more about technology and how to use it than ever before. I'm starting to realize this as I am behind myself. The second graders that I am working with know more about Google than I do, which scares me.

1 comment:

  1. I found that I'm not nearly as tech savvy as I thought I was when I started my observation too! All of the first grade students knew how to work iPads; I was super impressed. Also, my host teacher just got an apple tv, which allows her to project her iPad onto the wall. Super cool technology stuff happening at Hampstead elementary!

    ReplyDelete